It might come as a major shock to parents to find their child being diagnosed with
Apart from medicines and behavioral training, there are various
Occupational Therapy: This is highly beneficial in developing coordination and motor skills.
Speech Therapy: This helps in improving language and communication skills.
Relationship Development Intervention (RDI) Training: This is a recently invented treatment approach that is used to develop in children the ability to socialize with other people.
Sensory Therapy: Children with
It has been demonstrated in various scientific studies that autistic children who are subjected to early treatments show considerable improvement in communication, learning and social skills. With this aspect in mind, researchers have designed a number of
- Any child on the
autism spectrumshould be subjected to the therapy sessions for a minimum of 25 hours per week.
- The therapists or teachers conducting the sessions should be highly trained, skilled and qualified. It is also beneficial to have trained paraprofessionals working under the guidance of knowledgeable professionals having expertise in
autismtherapy, to support the program.
- The therapy programs should contain clear and precise learning goals with appropriate techniques to assess, evaluate and record the child’s ability to meet the goals.
- The therapeutic sessions should be designed in a way to focus on the main aspects of the child’s personality that have been majorly impacted by
autism, including language and communication skills, social skills, motor skills, play skills and the abilities of self-care.
- The programs should provide a platform for the child, where they can interact with a peer group with the same development issues.
- The programs should allow parents to take active part in both decision making and implementation of the program.
- The therapy sessions should integrate an entire team of professionals including a physician, a speech therapist and an occupational therapist.
- The therapists should exhibit an adequate level of compassion and understanding of the child and their family.